After many months of preparation, World Water Relief successfully completed the installation of the PURA water filter system which will provide clean water for nearly 400 students, from kindergarten to eighth grade, who attend the Batey 9 primary school. In order to begin this project, the preliminary preparation required checking for water hardness on-site, communicating with key counterparts, such as the school director and municipal officials, documenting on-site installation measurements, coordinating with labor technicians and more. During May 22-29, our team successfully achieved the project goals of:
1) digging pathways for PVC pipes’ secure passage underground
2) establishing electrical wiring for the PURA water system holding area and water pump
3) connecting piping to the water storage tank and subsequent W.A.S.H. stations
4) constructing two water stations for school use
5) painting each water station with the our logo alongside completing final water system accessory work. While we experienced some delays, such as school flooding due to heavy rains, our team of seven workers, including electrician, plumber, mason, helpers, W.A.S.H. educator and the installation and maintenance manager, achieved all projects objectives
Rosa Elena Feliz, the Batey 9 primary school principal, worked diligently with our staff during this project installation process. She cares immensely about her school environment, her students and the larger community supporting local education. Along the way, she was attentive and diligent in assisting with a smooth installation process—making time for any project needs, providing secure storage for project materials and showing her appreciation for the work at hand. Rosa will play a key role in the sustainability of the water system and has already hired a worker to be in charge of the care and upkeep of the system. Rosa says that, because of the new water system, school funds can be reallocated for other school improvement needs and school resources previously unavailable before. She will be in contact with us whenever her school may need further support.