The students had to travel 1km to the nearest dam to meet the school's water needs. In addition to the students, approximately 1500 people use the same water source for their daily water needs. Fetching water robs students of valuable class time. It also poses serious risks to the students as the water is shared with animals daily and children have to walk down a steep slope surrounded by dense vegetation when fetching water and again climb the hill with jerry cans on their heads.
Check out your impact!
- You brought clean water to 400 people
- You eliminated 6.32 miles of walking per day
- You reduced collection time by 5.17 hours per day
- You replaced an unprotected dug well with a Rainwater Catchment System
Thanks to the following for supporting this project:
- Gentry Academy, MN
- Simley High School, MN
- William T. Rogers Middle School, NY