The Thar Desert of India is one of the most challenging parts of India. Severely deficient rainfall creates a chronic drought situation in Thar trapping the region under great poverty and deprivation. Food and water shortages are very common causing poverty and malnutrition. In rural areas health and nutrition needs are often neglected and less prioritized especially for females. Lack of awareness and lack of adequate healthcare are two critical challenges in the region. Education and health facilities are limited in the desert and develop the lowest statistical data nationwide.
India has a goal for 100% enrollment of children and to ensure the completion of primary and secondary education by all boys and girls under the Sustainable Development targets for 2030, guaranteeing equal access to opportunities for access to quality technical and vocational education for everyone.
- Bio-sand water filters: In order to address various water-borne diseases and ensure safe drinking water for rural schools. The project proposes to introduce and development of two BioSand water filters for one rural school. BioSand Filters are designed as a local technology. In a BioSand Filter (using 0.7 mm sand) would typically filter 14 liters in one time. Two filters will be installed at each school.
- Health check-up Camps: Medical outreach camps will be organized at school to diagnose & give immediate relief to school children against common seasonal diseases in remote villages where other health services do not exist. Examination and treatment of patients and referral will be part of camps. 2 camps will be organized to improve the health status of children in school.
- Water, Nutrition and Health Awareness Camp: Regular awareness sessions will be carried out to impart education on water, nutrition and health. Parents and teachers will be highly involved in making the sessions applicable and effective. Such trainings will enhance the children’s ability to work, think and reason to bring integral development.
- Quality Education: Teaching learning materials and sports facilities will be given to school along with two set of I-pads/ tablets to improve quality education among children. Two computer education sessions will be organized to orient teacher and students about basic features of tablets.
- Enhanced safe drinking water availability in school especially for children through bio-sand water filters
- Improved health and nutrition awareness among children
- Improved health though regular health check-ups
- Improved school amenities and ambiance in attaining a quality education
H2O for Life is not a WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) project implementer. We have partnerships with non-governmental organizations (NGOs) implementing WASH in Schools projects around the world. Our NGO partners match funds needed for each school project. We also have a generous donor that provides us with an interest-free loan that, along with matching funds, allows for many projects to be started or possibly even completed before total funds have been raised. In rare situations we reserve the right to reallocate funds to alternate project(s).
Questions? Ask us at 651-756-7577 or email@example.com.