$2,200 pledged (100%)
$2,200 total cost
The proposed project will be an integrated effort on improving health and nutrition awareness among children. Availability of safe drinking water and regular check-ups to monitor the health of the students. This school has already received water and sanitation facilities with the support of H2O for Life.
The arid zone of Rajasthan is the driest part of India with an annual rainfall of 300 mm and is one of the poverty stricken states of India. Effects of water unavailability can be gauzed by understanding the living conditions of women and children. They have to strive and travel 3-5 km several times a day on foot in harsh climate to make arrangement of water for daily survival, but the quench remains still unfulfilled. Consumption of open, dirty water makes them vulnerable towards water borne diseases and suffers for the whole year for potable drinking water. The biggest impact of lack of water and nutrient foods could be seen on the female population and children of the region. Beyond health, there is a serious gap in the context of children’s education within the mining areas. Schools are very few and the awareness levels to get children educated are very low. As a result, a very small percentage of children of the population group go to schools and hence are bound to become mine workers as they attain adulthood and many are forced to start working during their childhood. According to Census of India-2011, the current literacy rate of India is 74.04% with rural literacy rate is just 58%. While the rural literacy rate of Desert state Rajasthan is 61.44% but the female literacy in state is far behind from National average and just 52.12% females can read and write.
- Bio-sand water filters: In order to address various water-borne diseases and ensure safe drinking water for rural schools. The project proposes to introduce and development of two BioSand water filters for one rural school. BioSand Filters are designed as a local technology. In a BioSand Filter (using 0.7 mm sand) would typically filter 14 liters in one time. Two filters will be installed at each school.
- Health check-up Camps: Medical outreach camps will be organized at school to diagnose & give immediate relief to school children against common seasonal diseases in remote villages where other health services do not exist. Examination and treatment of patients and referral will be part of camps. 2 camps will be organized to improve the health status of children in school.
- Water, Nutrition and Health Awareness Camp: Regular awareness sessions will be carried out to impart education on water, nutrition and health. Parents and teachers will be highly involved in making the sessions applicable and effective. Such trainings will enhance the children’s ability to work, think and reason to bring integral development.
- Quality Education: Teaching learning materials and sports facilities will be given to school along with two set of I-pads/ tablets to improve quality education among children. Two computer education sessions will be organized to orient teacher and students about basic features of tablets.
Outcomes and Impact of the Project:
- Enhanced safe drinking water availability in school especially for children through bio-sand water filters
- Improved health and nutrition awareness among children
- Improved health though regular health check-ups
- Improved school amenities and ambiance in attaining a quality education